92% of US workers think they could work better with their colleagues.
Managing multiple projects at the same time, delegating tasks, and collaborating between teams is difficult on a good day – but it can become downright impossible when unforeseen obstacles stand in the way. The data shows that project management is no walk in the park for most of us.
When this affects the business, it becomes an even bigger problem. Misunderstandings and inefficiencies in your project management process can lead to confusing and stressful experiences for your employees. This can affect your company’s ability to meet your customers’ needs or meet year-end goals.
Fortunately, there are plenty of free project management apps out there that you can use to keep your team up to date without breaking the bank.
Project management app
A project management app is software that can be used to plan projects, track tasks, create task lists, automate workflows, assign resources, assign project managers and set project schedules and dates in a uniform, collaborative interface.
Typically, a free project management tool lets you create various projects, create task lists, assign tasks to team members, and track the progress of a project through to completion. Paid project management tools offer more storage space, more projects, and more seating for the team. For small teams, however, a free project management tool is sufficient.
The low buy-in makes it a natural choice. With the free project management software, your team can work together much better, reducing the risk of misunderstandings and keeping all employees informed about team-wide projects. This is also helpful for individual team members. They can use it to increase their productivity and ensure that they are on the right track.
Check out these amazing free project management tools to streamline your process and make sure everyone on your team is on the same page.
Free project management software
- HubSpot project management software
- Toggl plan
1. HubSpot project management software
HubSpot’s project management tool includes task creation, task automation, and pre-made task lists. It was specially developed for marketing teams and integrates seamlessly with Marketing Hub. This tool allows you to keep track of tasks alongside your marketing projects – so that both are integrated and not managed with different tools.
- Task management right next to your marketing workflows
- File attachment features to keep track of important assets
- Ready-made task lists for starting projects immediately
- Custom templates for recurring projects
- Landing pages, emails and workflows are all available in the same tool
Pricing: Free with HubSpot Marketing Hub
Project.co is a customer-oriented project management system that connects your team with your customers’ teams in one place. Any work you do can be set up as a separate project with its own discussion feed, notes, tasks, team, and payments. You can also record the time spent on each project.
Different task and project views are available, including calendar, planner and Kanban views, to give you an overview of the work on your team.
- Ability to quickly add / invite internal and external users
- Discussion feed for each project – with email notifications (and the ability to reply by email without logging in)
- Different task views – which can be filtered – give your entire team, every department and even individual users their daily / weekly task lists
- Reporting tools that measure your most profitable and efficient projects
- Possibility to integrate payment solutions and to process card payments quickly and securely via the system
Pricing: 14 days free of charge; $ 10 / user / month
3. Switch plan
Toggl Plan is an effective project management tool that allows you to automate your task delegation process and visualize which project tasks have been completed and which have not. If your team works with other departments on projects a lot, this might be a useful tool for you.
- Gantt chart visualization for tracking important dates and projects
- Integrations with Slack, Github, Evernote, and others
- Team collaboration option through shared calendars and to-do notes
Pricing: 14 days free of charge; $ 8 / user / month (team); $ 13.35 / user / month (enterprise)
4. Click on
ClickUp has some impressive features for customizing the all-in-one project management tool to suit your team members, including the option to let each user choose one of three different ways to view their projects and tasks based on their individual preferences. If your marketing team overlaps with sales, design, or development, this is an effective solution as it has capabilities for all of these four teams.
- The ability to organize your projects by priority and assign tasks to groups
- The option to set goals to remind teams of what they want to achieve
- Two-way synchronization in Google Calendar
- An easy way to filter, find, sort, and customize options to manage specific tasks
- Activity stream with mention ability
- Image models
- 57 built-in apps
Pricing: Free; $ 5 / user / month
Another free software with a variety of functions for project and task managers is nTask. This program offers some free range tools for anyone looking to work as an individual or a professional project manager.
nTask supports the creation of multiple projects and tasks. Users can also define team leader roles, budget, milestone and time recording criteria that are specific to relevant projects. NTask understands the needs of advanced project managers and also offers an interactive Gantt chart function. It can be personalized through a simple drag and drop mechanism to align the project with ongoing changes in real life.
- A powerful in-app collaboration system
- Integration with Slack and many other third-party apps
- The ability to invite stakeholders to view ongoing projects
- resource management
- Team management via a process controlled by the administrator
- Multiple work areas for different projects and tasks
Pricing: Free (Basic); $ 2.99 / user / month (Premium); $ 7.99 / user / month (business); Custom (company)
Teamwork is project management software and collaboration platform that helps internal and remote teams stay organized and productive. With any project, you can easily upload files, assign tasks and deadlines, and chat with teammates. By centralizing your project information, you can avoid further misunderstandings and missed deadlines.
- Easy integration with HubSpot
- Teamwork Chat Instant Messenger helps you stay in your workflow and be the most productive
- Time tracking to understand capacity and where a team spends their time
- Dashboards, subtasks and milestones to track the progress of projects
Pricing: Free; $ 10 / user / month (shipping); $ 18 / user / month (growth); Custom (company
Freedcamp is a feature-rich project management tool for personal and professional use. Each project has its own tasks, milestones, files, discussions and schedules, as well as an issue tracker and calendar. The dashboard gives you a clear and concise overview of what’s going on on your team, including activities, projects, and tasks.
- Message board discussion feed with the ability to create and hold discussions on any topic
- Powerful calendar view showing all upcoming events
- Third party integrations including Google Drive, Google Calendar, Dropbox, and more
Pricing: Free; $ 1.49 / user / month (MInimalist); $ 7.49 / user / month (enterprise); $ 16.99 / user / month (enterprise)
Asana, one of the most popular project management solutions, has a clean and easy-to-use interface. The all-in-one tool allows you to create boards to visualize what phase your project is in and use reports to track the completed tasks and tasks that require your attention.
- The ability to create templates to automate everyday tasks
- The ability to collaborate and share information privately and securely across the team
- The option to set security controls and set administrators
- Over 100 integrations for a more efficient start-to-end process
- The ability to create custom project fields, share documents and filter tasks
- HubSpot integration for seamless synchronization of workflows and contact activities
Pricing: Free (Basic); $ 10.99 / user / month (Premium); $ 24.99 / user / month (enterprise); Custom (company)
With Monday.com, a project management tool that also offers HR and IT tools, you can create status updates for team members so your remote and flexible teams are aware of their employees’ schedules. You can easily access project updates at a glance so nothing falls between the cracks.
- Customizable workflows to prioritize your team’s needs and get important tasks done
- Gantt chart for visualizing due dates and project schedules
- Integration with popular tools like Slack, Microsoft Teams and Google Calendar
- Status updates from team members for remote or flexible team members
- HubSpot integration so everyone can collaborate on contact and deal management
Pricing: 14 days free of charge; $ 8 / user / month (Basic); $ 10 / user / month (default); $ 16 / user / month (Pro); Custom (company)
Wrike is an exceptional project management tool for teams that want the ability to customize workflows and edit and revise projects themselves within the platform. The tool offers the ability to create color code and level calendars, and its mobile app allows colleagues to update project information on the go. You can annotate sections, videos, or documents, and create custom fields to export the data most relevant to your business.
- Security measures to ensure that only authorized personnel can access information
- Activity Stream, which allows project managers to manage small micro-management tasks, view activities in chronological order, and tag team members
- The option to unfollow activities to clear your personal stream
- Email and calendar synchronization
- Integrated editing and approval functions
Pricing: Free; $ 9.80 / user / month (Professional); $ 24.80 / user / month (enterprise); Custom (company)
The free version of Paymo allows only one user access. However, if you have a small team or are a freelancer, this can be an efficient option for keeping track of billable hours and billing customers. In addition to tracking finances, Paymo also lets you organize project schedules, create task lists and keep track of your budget for multiple projects at the same time.
- Kanban boards for easy project updates at a glance
- Time tracking to keep everyone on the same schedule
- File sharing and Adobe CC extension for easy asset sharing
- Timesheet reporting to keep stakeholders informed
- Project templates to start projects with one click
Pricing: Free; $ 9.95 / user / month (Small Office); $ 15.79 / user / month (enterprise)
Trello is a drag-and-drop tool that allows you to move personal or professional projects through workflow stages to completion.
You define what these phases are – whether it is work project status such as “On hold” or personal project categories such as “Things to buy!” Acts. – with tasks that are represented as “cards”. Each card can be assigned a name, assigned to a person, and assigned a due date. Files such as pictures can also be attached.
- Templates for a number of different project types, from business to education to personal productivity
- Ability to add attachments such as pictures to any card on any board
- Adjust your workflow phases to match your actual process
- Easy dragging and dropping of cards through workflow phases
- HubSpot integration for synchronizing marketing, sales and service workflows in task lists
Pricing: Free; $ 10 / user / month; Custom (company)
Todoist is a simple but powerful tool that allows you to create powerful, interactive to-do lists. Tasks can be assigned priority levels, assigned and tagged to people on your team – with customizable reminders (although this is a premium feature). Actionable items can also be broken down into different projects, creating a simple, easy-to-understand structure in which each “list” has a title (project name) and a series of actions. All of this makes it an extremely flexible, customizable tool to get the job done.
- Template lists to inspire and guide you
- Recurring due dates for regularly recurring tasks
- Productivity visualizations and karma points for completed tasks and strips
- Labels, notifications, and discussion feeds keep things tidy
Pricing: Free; $ 3 / user / month (Pro); $ 5 / user / month (business)
MeisterTask is a project management tool that allows you to create Kanban boards, set recurring tasks, track project times, and create custom fields. You can automatically import data from other tools like Trello and Asana so you can get to work right away without wasting time.
- Up to 3 projects in the free version
- File attachments for projects
- Custom project icons to highlight tasks
- Time recording so that no deadlines fall through the cracks
Pricing: Free; $ 8.25 / user / month (Pro); $ 20.75 / user / month (enterprise); Custom (company)
Britrix24’s project management software includes Kanban boards, Gantt charts, task counters for easy prioritization and reports for analyzing the time intensity of various tasks. You can also create task lists within tasks.
- Recurring tasks for easy creation and automation of tasks
- Integration with billable hours, which is especially useful when working with freelancers
- Task status to easily track progress
- Monthly reports on time spent on tasks
Pricing: Free; $ 19 / month (Start +); $ 55 / month (CRM + and Project +); $ 79 / month (Standard Business Plan); $ 159 / month (professional business plan)
Airtable is a customizable spreadsheet and database app that you can use to create a project management tool for your team. The project tracking template allows you to easily manage projects in a familiar, table-like environment, making it ideal for Excel and Google Sheets enthusiasts.
- Creation of subtasks within tasks
- Ability to assign tasks and make time estimates
- Additional templates for remote team alignment, e.g. B. a team hub and an asset tracker
- Very customizable for different teams
- Integration with popular tools like HubSpot, Asana, Dropbox, Google Workspace and Slack
Pricing: Free; $ 10 / user / month (plus); $ 20 / user / month (Pro); Custom (company)
Optimize workflows with a project management tool
By using a project management app, your team can work more efficiently and collaborate more seamlessly. When you run out of hurdles, you can make sure your team can focus on what matters most: bringing in more leads, selling to more prospects, and empowering more customers to grow alongside your business.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2018 and has been updated for completeness.